Not only are your eyes one of the first things people notice about you – people will also spend more time looking into your eyes than at any other body part. Healthy, beautiful eyes are thus essential. Follow our beauty tips to make sure your eyes get you the attention you deserve.
1. When putting on eye make-up, make sure it goes with the rest of your look. Choose eye make-up that goes with what you’re wearing and don’t let your features go to war with each other to be most prominent. You’ll have to choose whether you want your eyes or your lips to be the focus.
2. A layer of foundation on your eyelids will help smooth out imperfections and help your eye shadow and liner look their best and last longer.
3. Pay attention to your eye shape. What works for one person won’t necessarily work for another and figuring out what shape your eyes are can go a long way to helping you get the right look.
4. Use specialized cleansers to remove make-up. Soap and water can irritate the eyes and won’t remove all the eye make-up efficiently.
5. To cover up persistent dark circles, dot on concealer that matches your foundation instead of one that’s a shade lighter. Look for a light-reflective formula that drenches the skin in hyaluronic acid, which attracts moisture to keep eyes looking plumped, not parched.
6. For fuller lashes, focus on a mascara brush that’s tapered or football-shaped as they create a feathery topcoat for dramatic definition. They’re designed to give lashes body rather than coat each individual hair.
7. Bloodshot eyes are viewed as sadder, unhealthier and less appealing. Use artificial tears as they can help rinse the eye of irritants.
8. If you have hazel or green eyes, call attention to your amber tones with an olive-gold shadow.
9. If you have blue eyes, use taupe, tan or warm auburn eye shadow.
10. Rich plums and soft lavenders will complement brown eyes.
Michelle Hattingh, CT Intern